Make Ringtones on iTunes: Unlike the Android and Blackberry operating systems on mobile, the Apple OS does not allow to make ringtones at a click. In iOS, you need to go through a few series of steps in order to set your ringtone.
Once you get habituated to it, it makes it easy for you to set tunes faster and more friendly. In this article, we will get to learn how to create custom ringtones on the iPhone and iPad using suitable methods and relevant steps.
Coming to the process it is pretty similar for setting ringtones on the iPhone and iPad. There are more than 50 classic ringtones on the iPhone and iPad. But, you would definitely want to hear more when your device rings up. There are also few other iTunes alternatives that you can use if you don’t want to pay for music.
In general cases, you would be selecting a tune from your playlist and adding them to your ringtones. But, in this case, you cannot do so as Apple does not allow you to do so. Delve into the below lines to get deeper into the process of making custom ringtones on Apple devices.
Make Ringtones on iTunes, iPhone, iPad
To create custom Ringtones on iPhone and iPad all you need to do is to follow some steps which involve adding the tools on iTunes. But, before we get into the entire process, we will just go through the features of iTunes and the tools of iTunes so that you would be aware of using it.
iTunes is a basic music app created by Apple to stream live and exclusive music. The iTunes Music is compatible with all of the Apple devices and also is supported by Android. You can browse and download over 50 million songs on the iTunes application. Also, the application is free to download and get access too. The main app features of the iTunes application are as follows.
- Explore daily recommendations which include popular artists, tracks, radio, and playlists which are based on your moods and browsing history.
- You can play your favorite artist’s top releases, playlists, and collaborations.
- You can watch top music videos and also curated music video playlists.
- Keep track on the global hits which are hitting the top of the list all over the world.
- You can receive notifications when your favorite artists music releases.
- Follow up with the lyrics of the song right in the application.
- Set your music to the mood and create a playlist for any occasion, motivation, or a party.
Those are top features of the iTunes application. Now we will get to learn about how to set custom ringtones and stuff in the below lines.
Creating Custom Ringtones on iPhone and iPad
Now, since you are aware of the updates and features of the iTunes application you can get to create custom ringtones on the iPhone and iPad. To create custom ringtones on the iPhone here are a few steps you can follow. If you don’t have iTunes installed on your mobile, download iTunes for iPhone and then start creating custom ringtones.
a) Set time parameters for the song
- Firstly, one needs to set time parameters for the song. This is an exclusive feature for iTunes which is an inbuilt tool.
- One can set the start and end time of the song so that it enables you to create a perfect ringtone.
- iTunes allows you to set a ringtone which ranges over 30 seconds. You can set the time parameters for the song.
- Go to the ‘Song Info’ on iTunes.
- Click the Options tab to get edit features.
- Search for ‘Start’ and ‘Stop’ boxes to create your custom ringtone.
- Make sure that the start and stop boxes are filled accordingly not ranging more than 30 seconds
b) Convert the song to AAC
AAC is a type of file which is usually used to replace the MP3. This allows you to get a higher quality compression at the same bit-rate. To convert the song,
- Select the ‘file’ from the menu bar.
- Go to options and click on Convert.
- Now create an AAC version of the file.
c) Convert M4A to M4R
In order for Apple to recognize the file as a ringtone, you need to change it to another file format. To do this you can drag and drop the file and select “Show in Finder” which brings you to the file directly. Once you have access to the file either on your Desktop or in Finder, proceed to change the file name, then swap the file extension from .M4A to .M4R, and confirm the change on the popup.
d) Sync your new Ringtone to your iPhone
Now you can sync your iPhone to the iTunes application using a USB cable. Make sure that the device you connected through and USB and the iPhone are on the same network. In iTunes, you should see your iPhone pop up in the sidebar on the left under ‘devices’. Now, drag your .M4R ringtone file created over from the desktop or finder window and drop it on top of your iPhone in iTunes. Once you let go, iTunes will automatically sync the ringtone with your iPhone.
e) Set your Ringtone on your iPhone
If all of the above processes are done correctly, your file should appear on the iPhone/iPad’s ringtones list. Go to Settings -> Sounds (or Sounds & Haptics for newer iPhone models) -> Ringtone. That will change the default ringtone for any contacts that haven’t already been customized.