Just like the windows 7, the Windows 8 and the 8.1 upgraded versions support the screenshot tool. Screenshot is nothing but capturing the present system screen. There are many ways to perform the screenshot tool in Windows 8/8.1. In this article we will get to know how to take screenshots in Windows 8/8.1.
To perform the screenshot task in Windows, there are several ways linked to it. To take a screenshot in windows is just a matter of using two to three keys. Windows now has extended this by using some separately designed cropping and screenshot tools namely Snipping tool, share charm etc. Even after you take a screenshot the windows sometimes displays a notification of your screenshot and also you can access it quickly by just clicking on it.
Taking a Screenshot in Windows 8/8.1
There are a several methods you can follow to take a screenshot in Windows 8/8.1. The process is quick and reliable. You can also capture your screen in any form you would like to by using some specialized tools available in the start menu of Windows 8/8.1. Let’s get to know the different methods related with taking a screenshot in Windows 8/8.1.
A) To capture the whole screen
i) This helps you to copy onto your Clipboard
To capture the whole screen on windows you can use this method. Follow the below steps
1) Open the window/screen which you want to capture
2) Press the Prnt Scrn or CTRL+PrntScrn keys to capture the whole screen
3) Your screenshot gets saved in the clipboard
4) Use CTRL+V to paste it onto Paint and thereby you can edit and save the picture onto your desired folder.
ii) This helps you to save it directly onto a folder
To capture your whole screen and save it directly onto a folder refer the steps below.
1) Open the window/screen which you want to capture.
2) Press the Win+Prntscrn keys
3) Go to pictures library
4) Open the screenshots folder to access your respective screenshot named as Screenshot(number).png.
B) To take screenshot of an Active Window
To capture the screen of an active window here are a few simple steps you need to follow.
1) Open the window which you want to take screenshot of.
2) Press Alt+PrntScrn keys.
3) The respective screenshot is saved to the clipboard.
4) Open paint and press CTRL+V so that you can edit the image and save it onto your desired folder.
C) To take screenshot using the Snipping Tool
To take a screenshot of only a part of the window on your screen then you can go through this method. Here are a few steps to do so,
1) Open Snipping tool. You can get access to it in Start>Programs>Accessories>snipping tool.
2) Click on NEW
3) Select the shape you want to draw the screenshot to. You can select rectangular if you want to draw a rectangular strip or free form if you want to draw a shape of any form.
4) Save the form to your PC and get access to it.
D) To take Screenshot using the Share Charm
Windows 8.1 has a specially designed tool to take and also share the screenshots. To use the share charm there are a set of specifications. Go through them below.
Firstly we will get to know what charms are and then get switched on to the main content. Charms are a set of shortcuts to common tasks, available anywhere in the system. There are several ways to access the Charms in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. You can use the keyboard, the mouse or touch:
- Keyboard: press the Windows key + C.
- Mouse: go to the bottom or top right corner of your screen, and then move your cursor up or down to access the charms.
- Touch: swipe from the right edge of the screen towards center.
The Charms are available from anywhere, no matter if you are on the Start screen or on the Desktop. The only scenario when you cannot access them is when running full-screen desktop applications such as games.
The Charm can be used in different ways for different tools. They are, namely, Device Charm, Settings charm, Start charm, Search charm and Share charm. As this article is all about screenshots in windows, we will just look into the share charm application.
The share charm works only when used with apps from the Windows Store. It is used to share items using other apps. These items can be web addresses, multimedia files, files from the Sky Drive, etc. Items can be shared via e-mail or with people from your People app. In Windows 8.1 you can also use this charm to take screenshots and share them using a Windows app. You can also use the Share charm on the Desktop, but only to take screenshots and share them using Windows apps.
In windows 8 you cannot use the Share charm option but in windows 8.1 you can use it take screenshots and share them. You can use the shortcut keys Win+H to get access to the share charm option and then get forward with the taking and sharing screenshot options.
How share charm works ?
If you are reading an article in windows 8 or for example you are accessing a drive and if you want to share it with your friends, then, bring the cursor to the content you want to share and then you will find the sources of sharing the content like to your mail or people etc. That is how the share charm works.
In windows 8.1, you can do the same but you can also additionally take a screenshot of what you want to share. This helps you to both capture and share the data which you intended to do so.
So those are the above steps linked with taking a screenshot on Windows 8/8.1 versions. There are new and cooler ways developed and added to this version when compared from the previous versions.
To conclude: Hope you have enjoyed this article in regard to taking screenshots in Windows 8/8.1. For more of some interesting and exciting tech content visit Morphigo.com and delve into some amazing articles and information. Comment your views below and share the content. Cheers!
- How to take Screenshots in Windows 10
- How to take Screenshots in Windows 7
- How to transfer Screenshots from IPhone to MAC
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!