Testmy.net Speed Test: It is an old and reliable internet speed test website. It has been offering bandwidth testing for free for almost two decades.
TestMy.net uses HTML5 to function, and the foremost benefit of this method is that it is available on mobile devices that don’t support plugins that other speed tests require. It also has no buffering between the browser and the plugin which reduces the time taken to run a test.
How to use TestMy.net?
TestMy.net is an easy to use websites which works in all web browsers. It doesn’t require plugins while it offers stats about your bandwidth.
Go to TestMy.net website. You will see three options: ‘Test my download speed’, ‘Test my upload speed’, and ‘Test my speed automatically’.
Test My Download Speed
Selecting the above option will direct you to a page where you can see two options ‘Test download Speed’ or ‘Manual Test Size’. Select either of the alternatives.
Wait for a few seconds for the test to complete.
Either of the options will result in finding your bandwidth with only the difference that for ‘manually’, you have to choose each text size one by one.
Another page appears where your results come along with a graph to track your bandwidth along with the size against the speed.
Test My Upload Speed
Similarly, when you choose ‘Test my upload speed’, a page with two options appears ‘Test Upload Speed’ or ‘Manual Test Size’. Either of the options will help you run a test of your bandwidth. Wait for a few seconds until the analysis gets completed.
As the page appears, you will get the results along with a graph following in an accurate result.
Test My Speed Automatically
The above-selected option leads to a page where you can see different prospects. It comes with the download, upload or combined options to track your internet connection.
It also comes with the option of repeating the test every hour and more.
Select the desired method and click ‘Start Automatic Test’. Like the other two tests, this will also lead you to a page where the analysis report appears along with a graph.
Testmy.net speed test review
TestMy.net uses HTML5 to function instead of Flash or Java. This enables the availability of the test on both desktop and mobile web browsers.
TestMy.net delivers a clear analysis of bandwidth as they are unassociated with any service provider. There is a possibility for the speed test performed by your Internet Service Provider can mislead you with an altered result. No one can confirm this speculation, but it’s better to cross-check your speed because you wouldn’t want to waste the money you are spending on the internet.
Here are the results of the tests that have been done for a few times:
|Test||Download Speed [Mbps]||Upload Speed [Mbps]||Automatic Speed Test [Mbps]|
|Speed Test 1||1.4 Mbps||30.3 Mbps||4.1 Mbps|
|Speed Test 2||1.1 Mbps||1.8 Mbps||6.6 Mbps|
|Speed Test 3||2.3 Mbps||3.3 Mbps||2.2 Mbps|
|Speed Test 4||5.5 Mbps||1.9 Mbps||4.8 Mbps|
|Speed Test 5||5.3 Mbps||1.3 Mbps||3 Mbps|
The time taken to test the speed combining both download and upload speed was more than a minute.
Pros and Cons of Testmy.net Speed Test
- Three easy options ‘Download, Upload, and Automatic speed tests
- Doesn’t inflate scores
- TestMy.net is the first and is an accurate HTML5 and PHP driven speed test online
- TMN uses only your web browser, making it more sensitive to browser misconfiguration and is an excellent way to highlight performance differences between browsers.
- Shows the results in graphs
- It has ads displayed making the tests slower
- The tests take much longer time
While there are a lot of speed test tools, testmy.net speed test makes on a different level. Here’s why
- TestMy.net provides you with real-world broadband speed test results in real-world conditions.
- The testmy.net provides you with correct information independent of the Internet Service Providers. They provide precise results as they are not connected to later.
- They maintain their speed servers to not inflate with the scores. Hence, the relevant results.
- The speed test servers are configured to maintain quality of service for thousands of miles, hosted in locations same as the popular websites.
- It has over 23 years of experience testing the World’s Internet. TestMy.net’s servers are on a network that has direct peering with some of the most influential names in the Internet backbone.
- The network has a total capacity of over 2000 Gbps and our servers have multiple gigabit uplinks into that network.
- Uses the same bandwidth tool for other mobile devices. It doesn’t require any plug-in.
Here are answers to a few questions that you may have doubt about.
How does the speed flow work?
When you request a speed test, the test data is created randomly. You’re not downloading or uploading any real information. This means every TestMy.net speed test is unique, making host caching of the data difficult. When your speed test starts so does a timer, precision of which is measured in ten-thousandths of a second. Also, data sizes are precise to the individual byte.
Once the flow of information is finished the timer is stopped and your results are calculated. Test results are calculated first with a simple equation, (size/time) and the resulting number is used to calculate all of your final results. Your result is then compared against your own previous results as well as to other connections in your area, on your host and across the Internet
Why does the speed results differ from the plan?
The testmy.net speed test doesn’t measure the speed of your plan, but the speed reaching your device.
Note that the money that you pay for the plan also includes the service. It’s the speed delivered by the ISP’s servers to your Gateway or router that all the devices in your home share. It’s a limited amount, therefore if you add some accessories, then you may need to add more speed to your plan.
How do the results differ in different devices?
As said earlier, the testmy.net speed test measures the amount of speed available to a particular device at a specific time. The results typically differ in different devices and are usually lower than your overall plan speed.
What are the factors the affect the speed results?
The speed results can vary with different factors such as
- The device might be limited to the new features
- WiFi capabilities of your device
- The number of tools online that are using up speed at the same time
- Also, the outdated software may lead to wrong results or difference in your plan and results
How much speed do you need?
That depends upon your devices and services you are using. For example, if you are using streaming services for watching movies or TV shows, you will require more speed than average.
How to improve your speed?
You might want to look at these steps when your internet is slow. It can’t guarantee the complete improvement, but it can surely boost up your speed.
Mover closer to your Gateway/router: It is obviously known that speed and coverage decrease with distance. Hence it is recommended that you move closer to your router in an emergency.
Placement of the Router: Place the router somewhere open, avoiding a closed area such as cabinets or closets.
Avoid Obstruction: Do not place your router behind a large household item like refrigerator or closets. Remove it to an area higher than them if possible.
Use Internet TroubleShooting Tool: If the tips mentioned above haven’t solved your problem, then your home connection must be having a problem. Try using the troubleshooting tools to check what is causing the trouble.
More Speed Test Reviews
- Charter Speed Test Review and Results | Is it Accurate?
- Ookla Speed Test Review, Results | Is it Accurate on Mobile?
- WOW! Speed Test Review | Is it Accurate?
- Mediacom Speed Test Review | Speed Test for MediaCom Results
- Comcast Speed Test Review (XFINITY) | Is it Accurate?
- Cable One Speed Test Review, Results | Is it Accurate?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?